Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Walking and Chewing Gum at the Same Time.....

For some, this comes naturally. I know I could do this, but there are so many other things I can't do at once that I recently have embraced being a natural klutz.

For years, I lulled myself into believing that I had grace -- okay, maybe not. I seriously have to look down when I walk for fear of tripping over my feet. I've only walked into branches a handful of times and was thankful that the squirrel who mysteriously plunged to its death from a high branch did so moments before I would have been directly under his path (yes, a squirrel did fall out of a tree right before my eyes and go splat on my walking path).

However, last week is when I finally woke up and faced the reality that I really have no coordination. I went to the gym to run on the treadmill and this young girl got on the treadmill next to me. She pressed go and was off running at a fast clip and TEXTING on her blackberry. WTH? How? Why can't I do either of those things?

Somewhat defeated, I later realized that texting and running wasn't as easy as she made it appear and I may still be a woman with a lot of grace and coordination.....then I went for a long walk with my girlfriend Saturday morning. I was thirsty and took a sip from my water bottle and began to choke on it.

All hopes of walking and doing anything else at the same time are thrown at the window. Although, I am still hopeful I can think and walk at the same time, but wonder if others would say differently about this.

12 comments:

Brian Miller said...

haha...one thing at a time is plenty

Anonymous said...

Just claim you're following good Zen practices, do one thing at a time and give it your full attention. Then you can seem spiritual instead of klutzy.

McGillicutty said...

Agreeing with Treading Lightly... one thing at a time and do it well.
I have started wearing wedges and believe me I have to concentrate hard on that one!! LOL!!

Maria said...

LMB, I can walk and talk on my cell phone, but that's about it. I'm amazed when I see people at my gym read and walk the treadmill at the same time. How you can concentrate with all that distraction is beyond me.

DB said...

I always read while walking on the treadmill or elliptical or bike. Only way to pass the time at the gym.

Spot said...

I'm a klutz too! I have fallen off curbs, up stairs and often walk into stationary things like parked cars or doorways.

Some of us got grace and some of us got brains. I'm happy with the latter! Lol.

♥Spot

Unknown said...

I can only do two things some of the time. Walking and cell phone use requires the utmost of concentration to avoid tripping and falling.

Treadmills are my enemy - even walking on them is one thing too much.

VEG said...

If it helps I suck at treadmill running because I'm constantly expecting to fall flat on my face and on a couple of occasions I've come close. I either outrun it or don't run fast enough. :) Now I hold on. Hell it's for the good of everyone.

Also, I cannot drink anything while moving I have to stop. It's just messy. Seriously. I can however text with one hand easily while walking making me supreme.

Liz Mays said...

I have to admit that you really do sound like a mess! LOL

Mandy_Fish said...

This made me laugh in recognition of myself. I wonder if I named my daughter "Grace" as some sort of wish fulfillment?

Little Ms Blogger said...

Brian - it obviously is for me.

Treading Lightly - LOL - I like that thinking.

Ali - I am going to try to focus on that.

Maria - I can walk & talk on a cellphone - wait....I can walk and talk at same time, I try not to on the cellphone because I don't want people thinking I'm making an obscene call with my heavy breathing.

DB - I focus on not passing out on the treadmill, so to throw reading into the mix would mean I'm doing 3 things at once. Never going to happen.

Spot - I've definitely fallen off the curb.

Dan - okay, the treadmill comment made me laugh.

Veg Ass - You are supreme!

BV - Yes I am ...best part is I'm also directionally challenged and almost got lost exiting a lobby the other day.

Mandy - Okay, naming your daughter Grace in hopes it gives you some, is very funny. I'm glad to hear others struggle with this coordination issue too!

busanalayali said...

I love this post because it is very very interesting.Thanks you very much for shearing this article ..

Baju Muslim