Monday, August 9, 2010

Monday Mish Mash

Monday, August 9, 2010.....


Where have I been? Here. Doing things, but nothing to get me in the police blotter of the local newspaper or anything worthy of receiving a medal. However, I've had a lot of little things/thoughts go on so I'll share....

1) A Moment of Jealousy - Yup. You read that right. Here's the scenario...Several weeks ago my friend sends a blast email out about a new fridge her and her hubby were selling. Long story short, they bought 2 fridges because the first one was too big and in the end, made adjustments to the kitchen so this fridge could fit. So why am I jealous??? Well, I live in a 1940's Cape Cod style house and the rooms are very small and all appliances are small! The size you'd buy for a Barbie Dreamhouse. In fact, I'm taller than my fridge...translation: I'm always cleaning, reschuffling or reorganizing the fridge out. It's annoying. Is it too much to ask the refrigerator god that when I open the door of my fridge I can a) see what's in there; and b) easily place a new item on the shelf.

2) Started going back to Weight Watchers again. Although the first meeting went well, my body already went into alcohol makes me feel icky mode. Saturday night, I had a friend over for her birthday and made some blueberry vodka/lemonade/presecco drinks (in addition to champagne cocktails) and Sunday, I paid for it. I wasn't drunk Saturday night, but was exhausted from going out the night before for some great reggae played at a local street festival. Champagne always gives me killer hangovers (typically, they start the same night) and yesterday was no exception.

3) YogaGirl is in Scotland and it's weird not talking to her daily. Although, I heard from her yesterday and she's having a great time. She even tried haggis which won't be on her must have foods -- something about an odd after taste.

4) Writer's workshop is going well and actually pushing me far out of comfort zone. I'm a girl that likes to give you the basics of a situation, but don't elaborate on the details and that's what I need. I need to describe a room my character enters or an item of clothing I focus on, but in much greater detail. For instance, I may write about an enormous purse one character may own and it is important to the scene, but I need to describe the detail (e.g., designer, color, plain vs. glitz). At first I didn't understand why, but now I do. Details help the reader round out the person. However, after years of writing from a legal perspective, I'm a girl that likes to write in short, concise sentences. I feel the rest is over sharing (just like this paragraph), but am glad I'm doing it. It is making me ponder over the detail of the scene and where the character is headed.

Okay, that's the end of my mish mash for the moment. There's probably more on my mind, but it's early and I'm not a morning person. Basically, thinking is at a minimum before my caffeine.

9 comments:

CiCi said...

Good Mish Mash. I can picture your frig and the height and interior storage area. Yep, small. Our little frig is a little larger than your Barbie frig, but not by much. I have learned to use small containers and baggies so I can see into them. I try to keep a mental inventory of what I have in the frig so I use things within a couple days. This has taken a learning process but it is getting easier now. I don't drink alcohol at all and I am so glad. I have off and on over the years but not because I liked the taste, only to fit in with friends. Now I just don't drink and I don't mind that others do and I don't feel pressured to do things I don't want to do. I am not a writer but I am interested in your writers workshop very much. I hope you write some posts on your ideas and viewpoints of what you are learning in the workshop.

Canadianbloggergirl said...

Ok I'm not bragging here, but I have a MASSIVE fridge. To my defence, when my last one decided to break down when I went to replace it, I need the cheapest on the floor. It was a white Samsung fridge with the freezer on the bottom. To be honest I didn't realize just how big it was till I went to visit my parents and I had to bend down to see what was in it, and shift things around to get to stuff. I feel your pain in having a small fridge but hang in there, make a promise to yourself, the next fridge will be huge!

Brian Miller said...

the writers workshop sounds incredbily fun...i need to se if there is one in our area...yeah, we could use a larger fridge as well...

Brian Miller said...

so are you going to post some of your assignments? would love to read them...

Herding Cats said...

I understand and feel compassion for your fridge situation. Ugh, that's a bummer. Also, my moment of jealousy? The fact that your sister is in Scotland! I want to go there so bad! (But I'm good on the haggis!)

Constar said...

oh your so lucky you can write short concise sentences!! thats my problem, i over kill on the detail. Stuff thats probably not important but i have to tell the reader everything! in my writing workshops i would try and do the opposite, explain a feeling or emotion in one awesome sentence.

its NOT easy. like right now im rambling, but if you asked me to go back and edit this comment so that it was three sentences.. it would not happen. lol!

Little Ms Blogger said...

TechnoBabe - It is horrible especially when cooking for a dinner party - UGH... I don't drink often and even with friends, I may opt for water or club soda instead of alcohol (did that Friday night - too hot & very thirsty), but champagne. Sometimes one glass can give me a headache & sometimes not. Just odd. I'll do a post tomorrow about the writer's workshop I'm doing.

Candianbloggergirl -- YES you are bragging!!!! Oh, how I long for grownup size appliances, but small house, low ceilings, I'm destined to always be filling ice cube trays. I have a freezer in my basement and have had hang 1/2 way in it to get stuff out.

Brian - I'm working on a book? Seriously, I'm not sure what I'm working on -- it's a memoir disguised as fiction and I just want to finish it. I'm going to do a post on my writer's workshop tomorrow and some other resources for people that are interested in writing.

Herding Cats - I'd love to be in Scotland with her now, but the first part of the trip I'd pass on. She was GOLFING...I know it's the birthplace of golf, but PASS....although, love minigolf & windmills...

Constar - it can be a curse. It also means that I sometimes talk in short concise sentences - translation, I can be blunt & direct.

Unknown said...

I feel refrigerator envy from time to time as well. Ours is built into custom cabinetry, so we basically have the choice of remodeling the kitchen or buying the same odd brand.

I could never be envious of anyone who eats haggis. The one time I tried it was more than enough.

J.J. in L.A. said...

Re: 'details of the scene' - details, while I'm reading, bore me TO TEARS! lol! I recently tried to read a book that my sister said make her cry. The last straw, for me, was this sentence...

"He walked slowly down the dusty red-shaded dirt road. He was wearing khaki shorts with a leather belt and a tan shirt."

Yaaaaaaaaawn! ; )_