Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My Last Meeting at Weight Watchers.....

Tuesday, August 31, 2010.....


I finally found a leader at Weight Watchers I like and have been going to meetings for the past several weeks instead of just weighing in and leaving.

The topic for the last meeting was how Weight Watchers is not a diet, but a lifestyle change. To some extent, I agree with that, but I think of WW as training a person to be more "mindful" of what they are eating.

Weight Watchers has you track and count points, and when I track food, exercise and drink water, I can tell you the program works. However, I don't always stay on track or program. I hate to track what I'm eating for several reasons: 1) I have to remember just how much I ate; 2) I have to see what I ate in black and white; and 3) Often I eat things I shouldn't have and don't realize I put them in my mouth.

I think if you're mindful of what you're putting in your mouth when eating, you may eat less and I know I enjoy it more.

Now that you have a background of Friday's discussion, there was this thin woman sitting in front of me and she was nodding her head how WW is definitely a lifestyle. She was excited because she reached 5% of her goal and told us the story of her recent trip to the doughnut shop with her daughter.

She explained how WW's lifestyle mentality gave her the freedom to buy the doughnut, but not knowing the points, brought it home and looked up the point value. She divided the doughnut into 6 parts and ate 1 part putting away the rest of it. As she was putting it away, she told her daughter she could have some tomorrow as a treat.

Is it just me in thinking this isn't a lifestyle choice? Get the doughnut, but instead of eating a whole doughnut, eat half of it and then either exercise or make better food choices for the day.

I don't want to become so obsessed about eating things I love for fear of the "point value", but am learning to be mindful of what I'm eating.

Sunday, I met a friend for brunch at this place I had read about. I had a very tasty breakfast. When I got home, I looked up the point value (I'm tracking) and learned hollandaise sauce is deadly on points. Luckily, the portion sizes were not ENORMOUS and I've made adjustments to what I ate for the rest of the day.

I'll definitely go back with hubby, but may choose something else. But, I know I feel no guilt for what I ate and enjoyed it immensely.

Sometimes, people forget food can be for enjoyment. It doesn't have to be the enemy. Enjoy it, but be mindful of what you eat instead of just eating to eat. Personally, I think that should be Weight Watchers' message.

13 comments:

J.J. in L.A. said...

I track what I eat on FitDay. I think being conscious of what you put in your mouth is key. I watch what I eat 99% of the time but enjoy eating out (I usually end up taking 1/2 home) and family dinners. My mom makes a killer lasagna for Christmas that I'm not about to give up. lol!

carla said...

love the piece about food not having to be the enemy...Id add or the friend.

either one empowers it far too much huh?
it is just food.

xo xo

MizFit

Brian Miller said...

food is enjoyable...i think if you can eat a few things you like you dont want to cheat so much...

Canadianbloggergirl said...

I think you're right. Its definately eat what you want but all in moderation and walk that extra block sorta idea.

Liz Mays said...

Everyone I have ever met who follows that program has success! Good luck!

Herding Cats said...

I think it's important to splurge now and then. Like the woman with the donut? She just needed to eat the whole damn thing and not stress about it.

The Sorority said...

I totally agree - food and wine are to be enjoyed and savoured. If all you do is track points and calories - you will crash and burn on any weight reduction plan. Everything in moderation including moderation I say.

The Bumbles said...

Different methods work for different people. Some need to absolutely obsess over the process and points in order to avoid getting lazy and slipping back to the dark side. Others have the ability to be more mindful and balance things out.

I personally had to be very exacting in my portions and food categories when I began to lose weight using The Best Life Diet book. Then once I had reached my goal and felt comfortable in my understanding of I should be eating, I was able to let go of the food diaries and advance analysis of menus at restaurants.

Regardless of the method you use, it needs to be one you can realistically follow for the rest of your life with success. Good for you for finding what works best for you!

VEG said...

Holy crap yes, if you want a doughnut, eat a doughnut and then have a salad for dinner or something. But don't beat yourself up about the doughnut, it's not going to kill you. It's about balance.

Which is pretty much what you just said. :)

Losing weight is so hard yet so simple a premise. You have to eat less calories than you use. So if you're having small to regular meals and exercising a bit every day you can eat the fricking doughnut.

What would life be without those little delights to look forward to?

CiCi said...

Hubby and I recently started tracking what we eat on an online format and we keep track of calories and fiber and sugar and sodium and cholesterol. It has sure helped us see the amount we eat and what we add to things can be altered to smaller amounts and still be tasty. I like your post and what you describe as a healthy way to eat.

Melanie's Randomness said...

My aunt is alot like that thin lady who divides things up like that & frankly it has made her a bit of a fanatic. I like your mindset on the WW. It's choices & I think your doing a great job. So you ate something with alot of points okay its not the end of the world so you just eat smarter the whole rest of the day. I think that's a great way to fly!

Joanna Jenkins said...

I've always known people to have success with WW but losing weight and staying focused is really hard.

It's amazing to me how many points some foods add up to be. I had a tuna sandwich from Subway and nearly had a heart attack when I looked up the points. Oy.

Cheers, jj

Little Ms Blogger said...

JJ – I’ve heard of FitDay and know people that use it. I’m an odd duck because I fail at keeping a journal online. I like to physical write things down. Personally, I wouldn’t give up killer lasagna either.

Carla – Very true.
Brian – exactly. It is when you think you can’t that makes you want it more.

Canadianbloggergirl – I think the key to life, for the most part, is moderation.

BV – Thanks. It definitely does. It’s just me doing the work.

Herding Cats – Exactly.

The Sorority – Ahhh…but tracking points when you first start any program helps you identify correct portion size. However, 1/6 of a doughnut is just crazy talk. That was never meant to be a portion size.

The Bumbles – I slip and right now I need the control, but I don’t want to become obsessive, until I recognize portion size.

Veg Ass – So true. The premise to lose weight is very simple, but it sucks that it so hard .

TechnoBabe – Isn’t it amazing what you eat even when you think you’re being good? It all adds up and I’m amazed at how much sugar goes into “low fat” foods.

Melanie – I can’t imagine doing what this lady did. I think she took all the enjoyment out of eating the doughnut by having to wait to get home to look up point value before taking a bite. But I do admire her self control.

Joanna – Tell me about it. I’m okay with a giant cupcake being 17 points, but a grilled chicken salad with some crumbled blue cheese, olives and dressing is like 14 points. It’s healthy and it is almost as many points as a cupcake.