Friday, October 28, 2011

Remember the Magazine Study I Participated In....

Well...

I survived. I can also tell you more about it because it's out on the newsstand and I'm quoted in it. Actually, I noticed my results helped comprise part of the headline on the cover of the magazine.

It was a Prevention study for pre-diabetes. The article is the Wonder Workout in the November issue and I lowered my triglycerides by 44 mg/dl.

I picked up the magazine yesterday and finally had a chance to look at the cover tonight when I noticed the headline of "Real-Woman Tested Drop Two Sizes Lose 4 Inches in 4 Weeks! + Lower Cholesterol by 30 Points."

The article and program are really good. I admit after getting the heat exhaustion in week 3, I stopped logging food, but I really wasn't eating or exercising. However, I would follow this program again, and, in some ways, still do. I really try to incorporate more fiber into my diet and have become a big fan of Chobani's pineapple greek yogurt. I find it yummy, high in protein and keeps me full for a long time.

Prevention did a great job with running the study. They set up a Facebook page for fellow participants to connect with one another or ask Martica Heaner (our Prevention contact, who designed the workout plan and walked us through the program) any questions or voice concerns. I was ALWAYS asking for suggestions on high fiber foods that would keep me full for a long time and under our 1500 calorie limitation. I discovered many ways to cook bean dishes, got some great suggestions from fellow participants and learned that jicama is incredibly high in fiber (my discovery which I also created a great dressing with the group and posted - if I find it I'll post on blog).

Prevention also gave us the tools needed to do the resistance training and were incredibly accommodating when I would ask to come in after the last time slot for the follow-ups because the non-commuter train(within my budget) wouldn't get into Grand Central until after the times they posted.

If you do the program, let me know how you did. I'd be curious.

7 comments:

Brian Miller said...

nice...very cool...so there were some positive affects and glad you were able to take a few things from it....

CiCi said...

It sounds like a beginning of even more healthy changes that would be life long, not for a certain period of time. So glad you got such good results.

Mike said...

I need to just stop eating pizza!

Little Ms Blogger said...

Brian - yes there were a lot of them.

TechnoBabe - definitely. I definitely think about food differently and love the pedometer

otin - LOL. You're originally from NJ, doesn't pizza pulse through your veins?

Anna Sonata said...

Nice article, thanks for sharing.rental mobil jakarta

Dree said...

That is so exciting that you were quoted in a magazine. It sounds like you've definitely taken a lot from the study. Good for you!

busanalayali said...

thanks for that great info..
Baju Muslim