Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"Charming House" aka "The Money Pit"

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Or ...the joys of home ownership and how I spent my weekend and now have a sore forearm. Being unemployed, does not mean your home (that desperately needs a paint job) goes unattended. Its been awhile and my house is in desperate need of a paint job. Several years ago, a friend of mine told me of her and her husband's plan to paint a part of their house every year so they could save money and it wouldn't be such a hassle. I thought this idea sounded great, but wasn't ready to commit to such an undertaking (it could be that I had no help in this task and sometimes have the attention span of a gnat)....needless to say, it took till last summer to present this idea to my fiance and have his buy-in and another to begin the project.

Lo and Behold.....Memorial Day Weekend. The perfect time and weather to start this project. We spent 2 days powerwashing the garage and when I mentioned that my forearm hurt, he stated the obvious "poor baby". It should be noted that I put in an equal amount of time on the powerwashing duties, but whined like a little priss when the area to powerwash was over my head. I believe the excuses used were "the water gets in my eyes" and "you're taller" so you'll do a better job at it than I will. I capped it off with "you're a boy and have more experience at this" (in my defense, he was in construction and I wasn't). I'm not proud that I pulled out my girly-girl card, but heck, it worked and my garage is officially ready for painting.

I would have started today, but two things happened: 1) it rained; and 2) my fiance told me not to begin unless he's with me (I guess pulling out the girly-girl card/ I'm helpless act does leave a lasting impression) because he doesn't think that I'll do it right, or better yet, get distracted and leave the paint outside to dry up (sad to say, he could be right on that one).

I will have to redeem myself when painting and use a step ladder for the higher areas. I don't always want to be known as a girly-girl.

j

No comments: