Monday, November 16, 2009

My Weekend with Yoga Girl (a.k.a. my sister)

Monday, November 16, 2009.....

Although my sister didn't arrive till late Saturday afternoon, we managed to squeeze a whole lot of fun in.

I must admit, any guest who shows up with fun gifts gets a definite A in my book. She had just returned from Italy and I had asked if she could pick me up some spice bowls (my definition of a spice bowl is a very small bowl that holds the spices I use in a recipe - I'm a big believer in prepping BEFORE I cook and depending upon the recipe, I could need many little bowls). She brought me 2 cool ones.

They were simple, but beautiful. In addition to the bowls, she brought me a silver ring she got while at a street fair and a leather journal. Both which I love.

Once I was done ogling, it was off for a pedicure. Not just any pedicure, but one that lasted 90 minutes and included a back and shoulder rub. Can you say A-W-E-S-O-M-E?

With cute toes, I decided to take my sister to a new grocery store that opened by my house. Yes, you heard me. A grocery store.

Fresh Market is ......pretty. It is not a place I'd go for my everyday items, but fresh breads, black truffle oil or really unusual beer is a place that needs to be visited. They've managed to arrange the items in a place that doesn't feel like a grocery store -- a definite place you have to visit, but not too often because it is easy to drop $$$ you didn't plan on spending.

After our trip to the store, we came back to the house for a quick dinner and then back out the door to see the movie Precious.

Precious, is not a light or fluffy movie, but I guess if you've seen the previews you already know this. It is a dynamic movie with great performances and a story line that kicks you in the gut. I never looked at my watch or had a moment where I thought the movie was moving too slowly. If you like serious drama, go see this movie.

After getting back from the late show, we came back to the house, chatted and went to bed.

Yesterday was the cooking demonstration class. I'd recommend a demonstration class to anyone who has a fear of cooking because it demystifies cooking.

The class was taught by Rick Rodgers. He often writes for Bon Appetit, Food and Wine, appears on t.v. and has published numerous cookbooks over the years. Personally, I've been going to his classes for years, but this is the first time my sister went with me.

I knew a guy who has won Bon Appétit's Food and Entertaining Award for Outstanding Cooking Teacher would be someone my sister would like. Besides, he was cooking Thanksgiving dishes. What could be better than that.

He started with a sherried crab bisque and then for the main course had turkey, mulled wine cranberry sauce-- mortadella, walnut and rosemary stuffing--baby carrots with orange glaze --mashed potato casserole with smoked gouda and bacon (okay, gouda & bacon how could this not be yummy) and pumpkin cupcakes with ginger cream.

Everything was tasty and throughout the class we were fed great cooking tidbits about turkey (he worked for Perdue for 10 years and knows a lot about turkey from the farm to the table).

Although I hadn't been to one of his classes in 3 years, he recognized me and we chatted a bit after the class. I got his latest books Winter Gatherings, Autumn Gatherings and Summer Gatherings which he autographed for me (I should mention many of my cookbooks are signed by the author).

After a quick kiss goodbye and a snatching of another cupcake for hubby we were on way home. Yoga Girl dropped me off to begin her trek home to NJ. It was great to see her and nice to know I will be seeing her soon (wow, Thanksgiving is next week).

That was my weekend...how was yours?

19 comments:

KaH said...

That sounds awesome. I almost went to see Precious last night, but with the Sunday blues already present, I thought I would wait a few more days. I am dying to see it though! Hopefully I will go this week!

f8hasit said...

I love little spice bowls too. I pick them up everywhere I go! It's almost like my Christmas ornaments...I can say where I got each one or who it was from.

I save the good ones for the best spices!
:-)

Sounds like a fab weekend!

Green-Eyed Momster said...

I need a weekend like yours. WOW! That sounded like so much fun! I've never had a pedicure. The Peach Tart made me hungry with all of her picnic talk. After hearing about your fun cooking time I'm going to have to eat breakfast!
I'm not sure I can handle Precious right now. Maybe by the time it comes out on video...?

Hugs!!

Ice Queen said...

I've read a lot about these cooking demonstration classes and I've come to the conclusion that I definitely need one. Glad you had a good weekend with your sister.

betty said...

sounds like a wonderful weekend!! always a great time when you can spend it with family and have fun doing neat things together!!

betty

kk said...

haven't been to Fresh Market yet, but it's on my list! lots of people from work go during lunch for goodies.

might have to hit it up one night on the way home!

Liz Mays said...

Your weekend sounds spectacular! I think I do want to see Precious so I appreciate knowing that it didn't move too slowly and is worth seeing.

I like the idea of little spice bowls. How fun! That class sounds beyond my capabilities, but I have no doubt it was a lot of fun to attend.

Spot said...

I love spending time with my sis! Wish we got to do it more often. I also adore pedicures. What is it about pretty toes that makes us so happy?! I have no idea what Precious is but at least I now know it's worth watching!

And spice bowls...well, I just use old margarine bowls. Not pretty, but still effective. Lol.

♥Spot

Titania said...

That sounds like a great weekend. And now i want a cupcake... Weekend over here was pretty nice, lots of exercise ( a bit too much, actually, I am stiffer than a guy dead for three days) and hanging out with the bf and the dogs, one of those weekends that leave me with a smile on my face :-)

Midlife Roadtripper said...

I don't remember mine.

Sounds like you had a grand time. I can't believe Thanksgiving is next week - already.

I, too, like to prep my spices and ingredients. Fun to drop it all in a neat order as opposed to my usual disorder.

Mike said...

We have a Fresh Market here. It is a very upclass store! Sounds like you had a good time, but then how could you have not, hanging out with a Jersey native!

Anonymous said...

Hmm..not much of a cook or party hoster, this weekend we had guests and I used a dish dedicated for serving whole cob of corn for an oil and vinegaer dipping plate. Maybe I need more serverware.

Anonymous said...

You had such a FANTABULOUS weekend! While I just sat in my pjs watching reruns of The Office....

Claudya Martinez said...

You make me wish I had a sister.

rxBambi said...

What a great weekend! I have pedis all the time and have never EVER had a shoulder rub with it! I am totally jealous. What color did you get???

Little Ms Blogger said...

Kelly – I wouldn’t recommend seeing Precious if you have the blues. It’d be tough.

F8hasit – How funny, my sister collects the Christmas ornaments from wherever she goes.

Green-Eyed Momster – A GOOD pedicure is wonderful. It had been such a long time since I had one. My sister was very generous in treating me.

Ice Queen - I love to cook, but sometimes it’s nice to see someone else running around…..It’s also a great way to try out new foods that you haven’t a clue what to do with.

That corgi – It was.

Kk – I’m curious to get your opinion. It definitely doesn’t feel like a grocery store, reminds me of the old HayMarket store that was by Anthropologie.

Blueviolet – Thanksgiving sounds overwhelming, but it is really pretty simple meal.

Spot – Old margarine tubs is very clever, but I use butter so old butter wrappers would never work.

Titania - LOL – stiffer than a dead guy for 3 days…never heard that expression. Any weekend that leaves a smile on your face is great.

Midlife Jobhunter – I can’t believe it’s next week either. About the spices, if multiple recipes I put the spices for each recipe on a cookie sheet with the recipe – yeah, anal, but it makes life easier.

Otin – It must be the same store. Any grocery store I refer to as “pretty” is not one I’d do my weekly shopping in, but go to on occasion to buy unusual things. LOL. She lives in the world’s smallest Jersey town.

Cornbean – LOL. I use serving platters for whatever strikes me.

Jules – Reruns of the Office can be fun and sometimes a sit on the couch weekend is needed.

Unknown Mami – I realize how fortunate I am

rxBambi – The shoulder back rub was awesome. I don’t know the color, however, I broke away from red which shocked my sister. It’s an iridescent magenta? I think.

DB said...

Rereading this is almost as much fun as the actual weekend was! I thoroughly enjoyed myself and was telling someone at work yesterday about the potatoes. I can still taste them in my head. BTW - love the one tag line that you snuck in and thankful you did not really go into detail there.

Yay for fun weekends with LMB! Please tell Otin that I am not a Jersey native, just a Jersey resident. There's a big difference :).

Tracie said...

It sounds like you had a great weekend! I mostly hung out with the kids and cleaned the house. Fun times. (LOL)

DSS said...

I adore Fresh Market...because it really does feel like a market doesn't it? BUT...as you said...not an every day grocery for sure.

What an awesome visit you had! The cooking demonstration sounds phenominal!