Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Etiquette...

Tuesday, March 3, 2009....

Before I start this entry, I want to acknowledge it is "Square Root Day" (I saw this fact on Yahoo, it would not have come to me naturally).

As I a child, mom kept the 1945 edition of Emily Post in the house. I recently swiped it from the family room because it really is a fun read. We relied on it for all our etiquette needs -- which only tied to the setting of the dining room table and how one passes the salt. Passing the salt is still a topic of discussion around the holiday table. According to one sister, when asked for the salt, you are to pass both the salt and pepper. Others in my family don't agree and I preempted many discussions by purchasing individual salt-n-pepper shakers so no one needs to ask.

Today, I decided to pull out Emily because I had to see what the rules were for breaking off an engagement on national television. Sadly, nothing on the subject could be found. I bet Emily did not write about this subject for 2 reasons: 1) no one would be crazy enough to do that to someone else on national t.v.; and 2) I have the 1947 edition. An issue unheard of.

I watched this season as I mentioned in a previous blog. I thought he was upfront and appreciated the fact that he sent home an extra girl one week when he had no feelings for her.

However, last night's After the Rose special was just WRONG. I know that he and Melissa broke up prior by phone, but really, break up in person backstage and be interviewed individually on stage. Another alternative would have been to announce that the relationship ended and then bring Melissa on stage if she wanted to ask The Bachelor any questions.

The excuse on the Jimmy Kimmel show used by The Bachelor is he agreed to broadcast both the good and bad of the relationship on t.v. and I think that is wrong.

Relationships end in the "real world" as was continuously said by the bachelor, and I agree, but he should have been brave and real and handled it better.

It was his choice, but I sense that Emily would have frowned on how he handled it.

2 comments:

SillyStud said...

...did I ever tell you the story of my IM break-up? I couldn't juggle multiple IMs and when a new person would IM me it would rip me out of the IM I was typing and put me in a reply to the person who I'd just heard from... so annoying... well, things were really winding down with someone and I was explaining to Mike that (new IM window opens of which I am unaware) "it's pretty much over, I'm gonna break it off today or tomorrow" to which the ex replied, "are you kidding me?"

I wasn't... it was awkward... I couldn't lie and then break it off...

Emily never gave advice for that either - she's useless...

Salt and pepper should always be passed together...

rachaelgking said...

Emily would have, indeed. Not far off from a text message...