Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Dreams

Wednesday, December 17, 2008....

Did you ever have one of those dreams where it was so real it woke you up? It's frustrating. I usually end up mad at the person because they've done something to upset me or I can't explain my position. Today was the latter.

Recently, my friend's husband, he's also my friend, lost his job. My gf told me that I was no longer allowed to speak to him as she thought I was a bad influence. I didn't understand what she meant by her comment until she explained that I was out-of-work far too long and should be gainfully employed.

I tried explaining our positions were like comparing apples and oranges. Yes, both were fruit, but that is where the similarities ended.

I have two major strikes against me: 1) the type of job I do is very specialized (although I've stretched the skills to fit in many other positions); and 2) the openings I do find are 1/2 way across the country and I'm not relocating.

At first, I couldn't figure out why I had this dream and now I have. Although I've been diligent about my search, it's still 7 months that I've been unemployed. I think I'm just as baffled by it as others. One consolidation is knowing there is a two to three month lag before hearing back on an opportunity I've applied for (I know this because I track dates and such on an excel spreadsheet - yes, I can be a bit anal).

In real-life there is an individual, not my gf in the dream, who has made rude and painful comments to me regarding my situation. Listening to them has underminded my confidence and the dream helped me realize this. The dream helped me realize that her comments are just chatter.

3 comments:

rachaelgking said...

Just chatter, indeed. It sounds like you're working really hard and keeping at it- that's all you can do! I'm sure the perfect job will come along soon...

Anonymous said...

OH man, I so get it. I've been unemployed for 15 months now and ZERO bites on my resume for full time work. I'm getting decent amt of freelance work, but still I long for a full time salary and benefits!

Little Ms Blogger said...

LiLu - thank you so much for being my cheering section.

Mazingamy - I'm so glad you've commented about this on my blog. I've forgotten that you're in a similar situation and it's gives me a piece of mind knowing doing everything you can is all you can keep doing.