Friday, November 28, 2008

Reflection of a Thanksgiving Tradition

Friday, November 28, 2008.....


Thanksgiving went off without a hitch. I do admit that I miss calling my mom and asking her what the giblets look like. For the past 12 years, I've hosted Thanksgiving and make my own stock. The recipe would call for the neck and giblets, but I'd always confuse them with the heart. Mom, always cooking up all parts of the bird for herself to eat would reassure me every year that I had selected the right one.

This year, I figured it out on my own. I had to. This year my mom is in a nursing home with Alzheimer's.

It's odd the traditions you pick up. Whether serving bread stuffing without mushrooms, a five course meal or who carves the bird, everyone seems to embrace traditions. Other than having a turkey at Thanksgiving and French Canadian stuffing being served, there are very few food traditions. I think my personal tradition was making the call to my mom every year.

The day was nice and we added a new person to the table. My family did not scare him off so he'll be back for Christmas.

I hope that everyone had a great day!

No comments: