Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Unemployment

Wednesday, November 5, 2008....

It's been 26 weeks and I just had to file for emergency benefits. Can I just comment how much that sucks!

If I chose to be unemployed that would be one thing, but I didn't. First, it was the summer and postings were scarce due to summer vacations and then the market crashing.

I interviewed for positions that have now been placed on hold. I've applied for positions that my skillset could be transferred, but companies don't have to settle anymore so I doubt they'll call. I've even applied for far reaching positions that I'm not qualified for, but thought what the heck.

I was talking with a friend the other day, who is also unemployed, and although I wish he wasn't, it is nice to talk with someone that understands what you're going through. I never imagined I'd be out for this long and never thought I'd be in the mindset to jump on the first offer that will come my way. Unemployment can be paralyzing. I try to remind myself that the time I have can be treated as a gift, but some mornings I don't see it that way.

Many of the positions I'm applying for I don't want. I have an interview with a company tomorrow that I'm not thrilled about. The company was a client of mine so I know how they operate and the position would require a daily commute of 80 miles one-way. I've been there and done that.

I am torn because there is a part of me that hopes to get the job and part of me that prays something better comes along.

ughhhh....

3 comments:

Andy - Instafather said...

Best of luck in the job search...I can't imagine going through the same thing; you're a stronger person than I am.

kk said...

hang in there...

As much as I hate my job, i can't imagine not having one. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Anonymous said...

Oh man. As you know, I can so relate. I did a dance of joy during Obama's press conference today when he said he'd immediately bring back extended Unemployment benefits. Even though that can't happen until late Jan and I have $63 to my name.

14 months in for me. sigh.