Friday, April 30, 2010

Addictions Can Sometimes Be a Good Thing....

April 30, 2010...


Sure, addiction to eating healthy or exercising is probably a good thing, but I'm talking about a better addiction: Farmville.

Initially, I thought what is this game? It's dumb, I dig plots and plant things, care for trees and animals and for what? Fake cash? Yes. But I now know there is so much more.

It's not that you move up to different levels in the game and become known as: "Brilliant Farmer" or "Big League Farmer", it's the comments each farmer leaves another when they snatch up special collectibles or mystery eggs.

Sure, 'thanks' would be the appropriate response, but how about "Maria is going to kick my butt for stealing her twine" or "You want me to fertilize your crops? That sounds so wrong."

The group of farmers I hang out with crack me up. I've been given great tips how to move up the farm ladder and have learned only on Farmville can I strategically line up my chickens and calves in confined quarters without fear of a documentary film crew recording the injustices I have created for my animals.

For me, Farmville has started conversations via Facebook's IM which have spring boarded into coffee with a friend I haven't seen since high school and an impromptu get together I initiated for tomorrow.

When I met with my friend, we discussed a Farmville intervention, but as I explained to her, many addiction programs are based on the 12 step premise and as farmers we love getting to the next level. We'd all be clamoring to get to the next step for all the wrong reasons defeating the purpose of the intervention.

I'm happy to report, unlike many of my friends playing Farmville or FV, I do not befriend people for the sake of having a FV neighbor. Of course, it means I don't have the same amount of opportunities to grab loot because most of my friends don't play FV. I feel sorry for them.

26 comments:

Brian Miller said...

i have thus far resisted the farmville bug...lol.

devonsnorkie said...

Oh Joan, what a wonderful ode to Farmville. Like Martha Stewart says, it's a good thing! See you tomorrow!

J.J. in L.A. said...

I play Island Paradise and have 135 friends. Of course, less than 1/2 of them ARE friends.

I like to steal from the others. ; )

Green-Eyed Momster said...

I haven't started because I've heard it's addicting. I have a ton of requests too.
I'd have to quit my job and I don't think Farmville pays very well. LOL!!

Hugs!!

Luna said...

i believe these games are only addicting if you let them be. i have play farmville and other facebook games for a while. every week there will be days that i play and others days when i dont feel like it.

Liz Mays said...

Blogging is such a time sucker that I can't imagine one more thing! I'm staying far, far away!

Herding Cats said...

Oh, I will not even be tempted! I have the most addictive personality type, and I'm afraid FV would be my downward spiral...

Claudya Martinez said...

I'm starting to feel sorry for myself because I don't play, but I already have too many online addictions. I wholeheartedly support farming, though. Keep up the good work.

Alex said...

ahhhh I played Farmville for ages, but then jacked it in only months later to start playing Mafia Wars. Oops

Sunshine Mama said...

What the heck is farmville?

Must be a game. But what a name for something.

Anonymous said...

I started farmville and got bored, I also decided no to properly do it because I was addicted to the rubbish that is mafia wars and didn't want to take more time out of my day to have another facebook game lol.
I would be on mafia wars on my phone at work breaks and whenever an advert came on tv at home etc etc.
I'm happy to report though that I have been mafia wars free for at least 3 months!

Lisa said...

I am happy to say I am a recovering FV addict and have been sober for about 7 months. I did it for about 2 months and then realized how completely stupid and time-consuming it was! It was hard, but I broke free and kicked the habit cold turkey! : )

Respectfully Yours said...

I was once addicted to farmville...would schedule my day to do my harvesting...I finally just got bored...have fun.

The Bumbles said...

I find this hysterical. Having never played FV I cannot know for sure - but your description is delicious. I didn't realize it could be a community building tool. Kind of like when business people go golfing for the day in the name of "networking." ;0)

Funny Girl said...

I just loooovvve FV!

Alexandra said...

Blogging eats up way too much of my time. I can't imagine taking on one more thing.

SO, I won't even check it out, b/c sounds like I'd love it!

Pearl said...

So far, I've managed to resist the pull of FB games.

But I'll never say never!

Pearl

Maria said...

You stole my twine?!?!?!??!?!!

rachaelgking said...

I tried it for a day.

I blocked it the next morning.

I have enough to worry about on the interwebs :-)

Stephanie said...

Oh I have avoided FV.As it is bloging is eating away the hours, I just know I would be lost forever on a virtual farm!

Rocky said...

I need more neighbors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pleaseeeee add me. ( Am secretly hoping that you play YoVille too)

Children of the 90s said...

I've managed to resist Farmville os far, but my mom could be accurately described as obsessed. She and her friends have their own little town. At least that's my novice understanding of it...

Tasha said...

I see those farmville pop ups all over facebook and I resist! lol! I know I could spend hours, days, weeks playing it if I ever get started.

Lora said...

I had to come back and tell you that I've been on facebook one week and I'm already tempted to start doing this. But then I would really never get anything done! But the temptation! But the never getting anything done!

Ack. I think of you every time I see anything farm related.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

awesome post.

DS said...

"You want me to fertilize your crops? That sounds so wrong."

Oh my, that cracked me up!
On the topic of being addicted, my attention span isn't strong enough to stick to one game. I hop from game to game just about every few days. Thats why gaming applications like MindJolt work for me, because I can switch what i'm playing continuously.