Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Ode to My Sister ....Food Sharing.....

I come from a large family and my closest sister is 4 years older than me. We grew up in the same house, but it wasn't until several years ago, that I learned something new about her......Her inability to share her food with others.

I really should rephrase that statement. My sister will share her food if the risk/reward ratio is in her favor. For example, if we go to the movies, she'll offer her popcorn to me because I may only have a handful. There is no risk to her having most of her popcorn eaten by me, but she looks and feels good for having made the offer.

I share my food and this is how I found out my sister does not share hers. I was out to dinner with her friends and offered up a portion of my dinner for people to sample and her friends became shocked. They did not believe we were from the same family, but yes, we are. I think the funnier part is that I never noticed this trait, but it could also be that she never ordered food I wanted to sample.

However, what I find amazing is that people point this out to her all the time. She typically gets comments when she orders dessert and others don't. They can order a dessert, but choose not to. I think it is the stigma of calories, but heck, order the dessert and only take a bite. Since when is it a crime to not share your food? When was the last time you went to dinner with a friend and expected that you'd be eating what they ordered.

Personally, I always offer my food to sample and rarely ask for a bite from others. I may suggest splitting a dessert, but that happens when the order is placed. I don't know why, but I'm just amused with people's comments about my sister's inability to share her food....

No comments: